
Archived from the original on 15 January Retrieved 26 April Bitcoin is a free software project with no central authority. On 3 March , Flexcoin announced it was closing its doors because of a hack attack that took place the day before.
The Real Deal Behind Blockchain, Bitcoin, and Cryptocurrencies Transcript (Raw)
Bitcoin, the Internet currency beloved by computer scientists, libertarians, and criminals, is no longer invulnerable. As recently as 3 years ago, it seemed that anyone could buy or sell anything with Bitcoin and never be tracked, let alone busted if they broke the law. The majority of Bitcoin users are law-abiding people motivated by privacy concerns or just curiosity. The paradox of cryptocurrency is that its associated data create a forensic trail that can what value is behind bitcoin make your entire financial history public information. Read more of our special package that examines the hurdles and advances in the field of forensics. Academic researchers helped create the encryption and software systems that make Bitcoin possible; many are now helping law enforcement nab criminals.
Basic Facts You Should Know About Bitcoin


If you want to know what is Bitcoin, how you can get it and how it can help you, without floundering into technical details, this guide is for you. It will explain how the system works, how you can use it for your profit, which scams to avoid. It will also direct you to resources that will help you store and use your first pieces of digital currency. If you are looking for something even more in detail please check out our blockchain courses on bitcoin. Bitcoin pioneers wanted to put the seller in charge, eliminate the middleman, cancel interest fees, and make transactions transparent, to hack corruption and cut fees. They created a decentralized system, where you could control your funds and know what was going on.
Valuing the cryptocurrency
Valke value of digital currency bitcoin has skyrocketed. But what is bitcoin and is it just bitcooin bubble? A what? The digital currency has fluctuated since it was introduced in And just talking about bitcoin right now, here on NPR, could affect its value according to Timothy Lee, a senior tech reporter at Ars Technica. He joins us in our studios. Thanks so much for being with us. LEE: I think so. I mean, what you see — you’ve seen the price go up very quickly over the last few weeks.
And you see this bircoin loop where the price goes up, the media talks about it. New people hear wwhat it. This is kind of the classic bubble psychology. People hear about it. And they say — oh, maybe I should get in ’cause this is an opportunity. And then the cycle repeats. The price goes up some more, and so it gets more coverage.
I mean, what is it? I’m afraid, after all this time and all these stories, I’m not sure I know what a bitcoin is. LEE: So a bitcoin is just a — it’s a form of electronic money. And with the traditional payment network like PayPal, the payments are made in dollars. But bitcoin is a completely autonomous, decentralized payment network, and so it’s not based in dollars. Instead, it has its own currency just called the bitcoin. And its value floats against other currencies the same way the dollar and the euro float against each.
And over the last six years, it’s gone up quite a lot. Vaoue was worth less than a dollar in LEE: Yeah, absolutely. There’s a number of companies now that will accept bitcoin as payment. And you can also pretty easily cash bhind bitcoins for dollars and buy things that way. But yeah, it’s a pretty widely used currency on the Internet. LEE: One of the things you can buy with bitcoins behimd illicit products, like drugs, for example. And it has proven to be a particularly attractive application for bitcoin because if you tried to set up a black market what value is behind bitcoin drugs and accept ahat card payments, the credit card networks would shut you down right away.
But there’s nobody who runs the bitcoin network, and so there’s nobody the authorities can go to and say, behidn down this network or reverse that payment. LEE: Yeah. So mining is the term that bitcoin people use for the process that computers use to kind of run the bitcoin network. There’s a global shared record of who has made which payments to. And the computers that participate in this process get a reward of new valuf. Right now, every block, which happens about 10 minutes, you get a reward of And they call it mining because you’re creating new bitcoins in the process of running the network.
LEE: It does. One recent estimate said that the bitcoin network as a whole consumes about as much energy as the nation of Denmark. LEE: I think, in the very early days, behijd was computer nerds — I mean, you know, technologists — people who were really interested in the technology.
And now it’s, I think, more just ordinary people who hear about bitcojn, obviously do some reading — have some understanding of how the technology works but, I think, see more of either profit opportunity or just like the idea of it.
I think there’s a significant political strain behind the appeal of bitcoin — people who don’t like the Federal Bwhind, don’t like big banks, don’t like conventional financial institutions. LEE: I think it’s going to continue to be volatile. I think it will probably go up more, but I don’t know how much. And then I think it will probably crash. But I don’t know how much — you know, how far down it will decline. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc. This text may not be in bitxoin final form and may be updated or revised vapue the future.
Accuracy and availability may vary. Accessibility links Skip to main content Keyboard shortcuts for audio player. Don’t Tell Me! NPR Shop. Facebook Twitter Flipboard Email.
December 9, AM ET. Heard on Weekend Edition Saturday. Thanks for inviting me. LEE: Don’t like taxes — exactly — kind of libertarian-minded people. LEE: Thank you.
Digital Currency Has Real Value — Here’s Why — CNBC
Got a tip?
Archived PDF from the original on 18 June An official investigation into bitcoin traders was reported in May Did Not». Archived from the original on 2 August Triumph Books. In theory, this volatility will decrease as Bitcoin markets and the technology matures. What about Bitcoin and consumer protection?

Comments
Post a Comment